Monday, September 26, 2011

ADHD and Homeschool

Okay, my daughter has ADHD, and I knew this going in... I knew that there were times she'd be completely unable to focus long enough to complete an assignment. I didn't realize that we'd have to change her medicine one month in... and THAT has been an experience.

My daughter is getting older, and starting to undergo some changes, and her medicine simply wasn't working as well anymore. I don't want to get into the whole "to medicate or not to medicate" debate, but basically, her medicine wasn't helping focus well enough to get through school... I do NOT want a zombie child, I fully expect her to be herself. I just need her to be able to sit still long enough to do her school work... Anyway, the doctor decided that, instead of simply increasing the dose of the medication she was already on, he would put her on a new one. She was on Concerta 54mg in the morning and Ritalin 10mg in the afternoon... He put her on Vyvanse 30mg for a week, and then 40mg after. Both of these medications are stimulants. When she took the Vyvanse, she had a bad reaction to it (not an extremely bad reaction, just not one we liked) and so the dr took her back off of that one. He put her on Strattera, which I'm totally fine with. I've heard great things about it... I've also heard that it can take 4-6 weeks to see the full effect of the medication.

If your child has ADHD (emphasis on the H), then you know what my immediate reaction was. LOL I WILL get through this... I may need nerve pills, but I WILL get through this! Anyway, we're kind of taking a break from school right now while her body adjusts to the new medication and it gets into her system. I'm really glad this one isn't a stimulant. When your dr tells you that children have died on that medication because they had underlying heart conditions, there's always a question in the back of your mind about your child's heart... even after they check.

9 comments:

  1. We are also a home-school family. The best suggestion I can give you is go at your daughter's pace. We work for 2 hours and take a small break 20 minutes for my daughter to have time to re-focus so to speak and then go back to work for 2 hours and take a break. This makes the day longer but it seems to help my daughter keep her focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take it slow next few weeks.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin has adhd. He is an adult now. My Aunt and Uncle had decided that they would give him the medication so he could get through the school day but wouldn't do it on the weekends or when it wore off later that night. It seemed to work. As an adult he no longer needs it. He actually seems a lot calmer than he was as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog...as a fellow homeschooling Mom I thought I would check out your HS'ing blog too. I can somewhat relate...I say somewhat because my two are more easily distracted but know home is the best place for them. Keep up the great work! Your newest follower!

    http://leadmeloveme.blogspot.com/
    http://gricefullyhomeschooling.blogspot.com/

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to have found your blog because we decided to homeschool my daughter as well and it's always nice to connect with others who are doing the same. :)
    My daughter, Emma, isn't school age yet, but she will be before I know it! EEEE... scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT IS ADHC? YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB, SHE WILL PULL THROUGH...JUST PRAY FOR HER AS WELL.[IF U BELIVE IN GOD].
    FOLLOWING YOU BACK FROM THE 99% BLOG HOP.THANKS FOR LINKING UP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nina Kunni: ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and it just means that my daughter has a harder time staying focused and keeping her mind on the task at hand. Medicine helps, but I've got to wait for this new medicine to get into her system to see the full effects of it. I can tell she's doing better each day. It's been a couple of weeks, and I believe we're going to be able to restart school full-time on Monday. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just stopping by to thank you for following my blog and was pleasantly surprised to see that you are a homeschooling mom, too. I got this this post and had to leave a comment. I am homeschooling my middle son. He has ADHD / ODD. He was also diagnosed as having transitional disorder and high functioning aspergers, though the doctors say that he is no longer displaying these characteristics. I still see a bit, but am happy that he has progressed.

    Regardless, your post was really helpful to me. My son is not on medications but I often wonder if I am making a mistake. I did not put him on the meds because I do not want him to be a zombie and I do worry about the side effects. As you last stated about your daughters heart ... you never know if the doctors are giving you the "real deal" because they could have personal motivations as to why children w/ ADHD should be on meds and / or they have these pharmaceutical reps in and out of there all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LC Hunt, I always wondered about that, too. You see the ads in the office, the clipboard from one company, canisters for cotton swabs and stuff from another company, posters... you name it! I am glad that my post helped you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! It makes my day! ♥